Questions with Ryan Hoarfrost
Original Article from USATT Insider (3/8/2016)
USATT Insider poses 11 questions to Ryan Hoarfrost of Paddle Palace
1) Why do you play?
I play because I love the competition. It’s also great exercise and a lot of fun.
2) Which is your favorite tournament?
My favorite tournament I regularly play in is the Portland Open. It’s the biggest annual tournament in the area so I always look forward to that one. I also like traveling to other tournaments around Seattle, BC, and California.
3) Who is your primary nemesis?
Sean O’Neill. I also battle with Hung Ho and Hau Lam on a regular basis.
4) What is your favorite game tactic to score?
Deceptive heavy spin serve to try to get the opponent to give a poor return that I can attack.
5) Thoughts on the Poly Ball.
I really like playing with the Nittaku Premium 40+ ball and even prefer them to the celluloid balls.
6) Toughest Loss?
Probably the one that stands out was losing in the semi-finals of the Oregon State Championships to Ethan Liu a couple years ago.
7) Greatest Win?
That one time I beat Sean O’Neill at the Cosmos TT league. I also took out Tahl Leibovitz when he came to town during a clinic!
8) How you prepare for a tournament?
Make sure to get an extra playing session in the week before.
9) When you see a new player at the club, what do you do?
Say hi and see if they want to hit some.
10) Player you would most like to play in a tournament?
11) If you had to face Timothy or Crystal Wang what would your game plan be?
I wouldn’t try to do anything different and just play my game.